Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Review of StarKist Tuna Creations Ranch Flavor- Go #TeamTuna

First: I was not given any financial compensation for providing my review. I received only a free single serving sample of StarKist Tuna Creations Ranch Flavor (and a coupon).  All opinions stated are honestly mine (and Hubby's).


Let me start by saying that my StarKist Tuna Creations Ranch Flavor sample was delivered via USPS and was enclosed in a manila envelope. In other words, it was squashed flatter than a pancake!  So, visually speaking, I would expect the contents in store bought packages to look different.


The package appears to be reinforced paper and was undamaged upon receipt, leading me to believe it is fairly resistant to random pokes and prods. It was very easy for me to tear open at the provided notch without resorting to a knife or scissors. This would probably survive a stay in my pantry and most likely only come out being slightly squished.




 After opening, I took a cautious peek and sniff.  From a visual perspective, it was highly disappointing and made me regret planning on using the StarKist Tuna Creations to top our salads. Aromatically I was very glad that there was no unpleasant fish odor to it - even upon taking a second, and deeper, breath. I only noted a small hint of something other than just tuna fish. I double checked the ingredient list and did see that the ingredients included vinegar, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder and spices. Somehow I had imagined the Ranch Tuna Creations having more of a ranch scent right out of the package, similar to potato chip seasoning. Hubby was enlisted in the test and he found it smelled like tuna fish.





I prepared regular salad to place the Tuna Creations on, and tried to flake the tuna out of the pouch and straight onto the salad.  When that didn't look appealing, I tried to "fluff" the tuna already in the salad and had no luck.  I ended up removing the larger pieces from the salad and "fluffing" them up on the cutting board before returning it to the bowl.  The other half of the sample I immediately dumped on the cutting board to be "fluffed" before putting in the salad.  Doing this certainly improved the visual appeal.








The taste was just okay.  While there was a hint of other flavors, it was very easy to overpower the Ranch Tuna Creation with salad dressing, sharp cheese or any fragrant vegetable. Hubby will eat almost anything, but half way through he told me he was finished.








For us, this was a bust.  Hubby believes that the Ranch Tuna Creations would be edible if mixed with mayo and relish and served as a sandwich.  I think you could probably eat it out of the package if you had crackers or rolled some up in a lettuce leaf, but anything else would just overpower it.  I really prefer my tuna to be flaked or chunky and will admit some dislike of the Tuna Creations comes from being reminded of anchovy paste.  It was a nice idea, but Hubby and I will keep buying our StarKist Tuna in cans.



No comments:

Post a Comment